Monday, August 12, 2013

Makeup Geek | Animal Testing Policy Information

**Update (November 22,2013):
I have received an email from a Sugar Pill representative. He assures me that SugarPill is PETA certified. In fact here is a link so you can see. In fact the majority of their products are vegan. I have emailed them back, asking the questions I always ask companies. 


UPDATE(August 14, 2014): I have decided to add them to my cruelty-free list. Click here to read my reasons why. 


Hey guys!

I contacted MakeUpGeek a week ago. If you've never heard of this company, it was started by Marlena who actually makes YouTube videos. Their eyeshadows have been compared (some say they're better) to MACs. Which doesn't really mean anything to me -I've never tried MAC nor do I ever plan to. However, seeing as I am a makeup junkie, but first an animal lover, I of course wanted to check out their cruelty-free policy.

Seeing as I have received a couple of new followers this past month. I wanted to explain how I go about emailing a company. I always use this format (which I updated recently). I will sometimes -if I'm lucky- receive a reply within the week. Other times, I never receive a reply. Which is really unfortunate!! That's why I encourage you to email companies as well! Maybe one of us gets lucky!

Anyways. This is what I receive from MUG:

Hi there,
Thanks for contacting us.
The entire Makeup Geek product line is cruelty free. We don't do any testing on animalsOur lab and their ingredient supplier don't test on animals.
All of our products are vegan except for the lipsticks (they contain beeswax) and these eyeshadows: Bitten. Country Girl, Cupcake, Drama Queen, Mango Tango, Razzleberry, Twilight, Unexpected, Unicorn, and Simply Marlena (they contain carmine).
We have actually discussed with PETA and they were ok to give us a certification, the reason they did not is that we resell Palladio and **Sugarpill products that are not PETA certified, but for MUG products we are compliant with PETA requirements.
We don't have a parent company and are not doing business within China.
Hope that answers your questions!
the MUG team
**Please scroll up to read update!!! 


As you can see they didn't answer question # 7, which says: "Do you use palm oil/carnuaba wax in any of your products? If so, is it from an organic and sustainable source?"

(P.S. I'm trying to implement this question more in my correspondences. I have received a couple of emails from you guys asking me to do so. I'm still reading up on palm oil and its effect on orangutan in Indonesia, our Amazon, and Malaysia . So please be patient. I just do the best I can :D 

Therefore, I emailed them again asking them to please address this question. 
I received this reply, literally in a couple of minutes:
Hi
There is no palm oil in our lipsticks (and obviously not in our eyeshadows either).
Best regards,
the MUG team
Well that's pretty self-explanatory. :P

So let's review:  

I really appreciate their honesty! From the looks of it they meet the criteria I look for when determining a company's cruelty-free status.
(1) They do not test their products on animals nor do their suppliers.
(2) They do not have a parent company. So we don't have to look into another company's cruelty-free policy to completely determine their status. If you are new: I do not support a company whose parent company does not comply to a cruelty-free status. Such as in the case of Burt's Bees(Owned by Clorox) or UrbanDecay (Owned by L'oreal).
(3) They do not sell in China.

However, they do make it clear that on their site they sell Palladio and Sugarpill products. They explain that PETA did not certify them because those two companies don't meet PETA's requirements.
I don't know anything, in terms of animal testing- about Palladio or Sugarpill. The fact that PETA didn't want to certify them makes me feel really uneasy.

I don't know how to feel about MUG. You guys know I do not support a company, whose parent company does not comply with a cruelty-free, animal friendly policy. I always say that you have no way of knowing where that money is going! It might be funding animal testing. Which, ugh is just so disgusting to me. Just thinking about it makes me feel saddened and angry.

I honestly couldn't tell you if I'd purchase from them. At least not now. I think you have to let your conscious be your guide for this one guys.

I fear that I might be coming off as either compromising or too "hard". These thoughts bother me, but my hope with all blog is to be transparent. These are my honest feelings.

I won't be adding them to my cruelty-free list right away. I need to think about this one & I would REALLY appreciate your opinions and feedback! I'm always honest with you all so PLEASE be honest with me. What do you think?! HELP!

Until Next Time, 
Camila 

P.S. HELP! 

2 comments:

  1. I live overseas so MuG wont be on my list, also sugar pill is not on my list , but I though palladio was cruelty free. I certify if my products are cruelty free. But it is hard when they come from outside the USA they say they are certified bunny , but is there an international kind of leaping bunny where you can verify ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about Palladio or SugarPill. I decided to investigate them too. Not just because MUG sells them, but for those who aren't sure about them. I think LeapingBunny is for the US, Canada and England. PETA is definitely international! Thanks for your feedback Icequeen81 :D

      Delete

Please utilize this comment section for feedback. If you have a question, message me on facebook. It's easier that way to answer your questions directly. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Main-nav-Menu (Do Not Edit Here!)